We’re recruiting – Seasonal Discovery Centre Assistant 2020
Job Title – Discovery Centre Assistant
Location – Tomintoul & Glenlivet Discovery Centre, The Square, Tomintoul
Tomintoul & Glenlivet Discovery Centre is an exciting new attraction in Tomintoul. The centre which has been fully refurbished will provide visitors with a modern interpretation of our communities natural and cultural heritage and be the first port of call for visitor information and advice. The new centre will include a digital community archive, a Virtual Reality experience and displays telling the stories of our communities and highlighting the best things to see and do. The centre depends on volunteer help, donations and income generated through retail and other means to sustain itself.
The role of Tomintoul & Glenlivet Discovery Centre Assistant will support the successful operation of the Discovery Centre to an agreed set of business indicators. This will involve stock control and ordering, customer service skills and experience, cash handling experience. A creative and entrepreneurial streak and ability to identify and maximise business opportunities would be an advantage.
- Support volunteers helping run the centre with training, advice and by creating a welcoming and inclusive environment
- Provide outstanding customer service and inspirational advice to visitors to the area to ensure we exceed their expectations
- Provide information about the local heritage and signpost visitors to other local sites of interest
- Keep the Discovery Centre clean and maintained, reporting health & safety issues and main maintenance tasks to management
- Provide check in and out service for Smugglers Hostel guests including taking bookings, payments, handing out guest packs and giving guests information about things to see and do
- Support in the retail development; undertaking stock control, merchandising and promotion of products to increase retail spend
- Promote our services, local businesses and activities, encouraging visitors to stay in the area for longer
- Support in the marketing of the facility through social media, online media and blogs
- Support other staff in the delivery of an events calendar within the centre
- Be an ambassador for Tomintoul, Glenlivet and Scotland, displaying passion and sharing your knowledge with our visitors
- Provide a monthly report on visitor numbers and financial performance to an agreed standard
- Any other related tasks required to support the running of Tomintoul & Glenlivet Development Trust
Line management will be to the Development Manager. Expected start date is around 27/03/20 and the contract will be awarded for a fixed term until 25/10/20.
To apply please download a job description and application pack or for informal enquiries about the role please contact Julianne Irvine Discovery Centre Supervisor on 01807 580760 or email: email@example.com
Expected hours are 16hrs per week on rota, weekend and Bank Holiday working will be required and additional hours may be available.
Salary – £8.72 per hour
Closing date for receipt of applications is 5pm Monday 17th February 2020
No experience is necessary to apply for the position of Discovery Centre Assistant but retail and customer service skills and a willingness to work weekends would be an advantage.
The position is open to anyone and will be awarded on the basis of merit and suitability but we’d be particularly interested to receive applications from young people.